Sheelagh joined Episcopal House staff in September 2017 as Interim Coordinator for Youth and Young Adult Ministries. Sheelagh’s role will be to facilitate conversations to assess the needs of youth and young adult ministry, and develop networks and relationships focused on Joining God in Shaping our Future.
Originally from the UK, Sheelagh holds a Master’s Degree in Education and has over 20 years’ experience in Education as a high school English teacher and in educational administration. After relocating to the U.S in 1997 for her husband Michael’s work, Sheelagh entered the process for ordination and was ordained a priest in 2005. Since then she has served churches in the Diocese of New Jersey, and most recently in the Diocese of Newark, as Rector of St. Stephen’s Church in Millburn.
- Member of the diocesan Program Staff.
- Identify and facilitate relationships and conversations among parish youth leaders, Crossroads Camp and Conference Center representatives, the New Jersey Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, and the Youth Ministry Network of the Episcopal Church.
- Assist in establishing a “Youth Council” comprised of youth leaders (both adult and teen) from across the diocese to help design and support youth and young adult ministry throughout the diocese.
- Develop relationships with diocesan congregations through regular visits (at least two congregations a month) to preach, lead forums or engage in listening sessions.
- Listen to the hopes and concerns of youth and young adults throughout the diocese, and help them to engage in the ongoing journey of Joining God in Shaping our Future.
- Provide congregations, youth and young adults, and leaders with resources and connections to resources that will support and energize their ministries.