Nina has served as Director of Communications & Technology since September 2009. Formerly a corporate technology professional as well as a freelance photographer and website developer, she combines her computer expertise, communications skills and eye for design in the service of modern evangelism.
Nina and her husband, Kirk Petersen, are long-time, active members of St. George’s Church in Maplewood, where Nina sings in the choir. They love to garden together, and use the herbs and vegetables they grow in their shared hobby of cooking and grilling. In her spare time Nina applies her photography and videography skills to her hobby of designing original crochet patterns, creating illustrated patterns and video tutorials posted on her blog that have been used by crocheters around the world.
- Media contact and spokesperson for the diocese.
- Diocesan webmaster, overseeing design, development and maintenance of dioceseofnewark.org in Drupal 7.
- e-Newsletter editor, responsible for publishing The VOICE Online and Leadership News (dioceseofnewark.org/e-news) using Constant Contact.
- Social media manager, with editorial and technical responsibility for facebook.com/dionewark, twitter.com/dionewark, instagram.com/dionewark and youtube.com/dionewark.
- Responsible for diocesan photography and video production, including the Mission Minutes videos for the Annual Diocesan Convention that showcase ministries across the diocese.
- Support the communications efforts of the Bishop, including editorial and technical support for the Bishop’s blog (dioceseofnewark.org/bishops-blog) and social media (facebook.com/MarkMBeckwith and twitter.com/NewarkBishop).
- Support the communications efforts of Episcopal House staff and diocesan committees.
- Created and oversee the Church Website Project, which provides free Drupal 7 websites to congregations without the means to produce their own website.
- Write for and edit the blog "Geeks for God": Evangelism in the Electronic Era.
- Serve as consultant to congregations on communications and technology issues.
- Manage the computer hardware and software used at Episcopal House.
- Send "Death in Our Diocesan Family" notices.
- Member of the diocesan Program Staff.
- Member of the Engaging the World Action Team of Diocesan Council.