John joined the Episcopal House staff in 2013 as Director of Administration at Episcopal House and the diocesan Secretary of Convention. In this role, John is responsible for providing logistical, administrative and other support to Episcopal House staff, the governing organizations of the diocese, various committees as well as to congregations and individuals. John also administers the granting funds of the Diocese, ACTS/VIM-Alleluia Fund, The Marge Christie Fund and The Ward J Herbert Fund. John is on the Board of Trustees for Cross Roads Camp and Retreat Center, the diocesan center jointly owned with the Lutheran Synod of New Jersey.
Previously, John was a member of the diocesan Youth Ministries Board, and was a longtime member of the Eagle's Nest Camp Staff. John is the son of the late Rev. W. Alan King, a long-time priest of this diocese. John has previously been a member of, and served on the vestries for, Good Shepherd, Wantage, St. Martin's, Maywood and Annunciation, Oradell.
John and his wife Pam have been active members of St. Andrew’s, Harrington Park for over 10 years. John has served as warden, a vestry member, is a Eucharistic Minister, and is active in the outreach and worship activities of St. Andrew’s. John and Pam have three children, Megan, Stephanie & John Jr.
In his copious spare time, John is an active volunteer firefighter for the Harrington Park Fire Department, and currently serves as its Vice President. He also is active in coaching youth soccer.
Director of Administration's Duties
- Member of the diocesan Program Staff.
- Handles all vendor contracts, leases and billing for Episcopal House.
- Administrative oversight of events and Episcopal House operations.
- Administer Grant funding cycles, equipping funding boards with materials and information to perform duties.
- Preparation of periodic reports to Council, Trustees, and other committees, commissions, and organizations.
- Provide support to congregations with respect to diocesan administrative needs and related matters.
- Collaborates with Episcopal House staff to organize and execute various diocesan wide events.
Secretary of Convention's Duties
- Coordinate and consult with the Bishop in organizing the Annual Diocesan Convention.
- Develop along with Bishop and staff a working agenda for the event.
- Arrange lineup of workshops and equip facilitators with multimedia support.
- Publish and Distribute all materials related to Convention business.
- Engage and Empower Congregational Deputations in the work of the Convention.
- Provide assignments and oversight for all Episcopal House staff and their responsibilities in executing the event.
- Liaison to the various Convention Committees tasked with the business of the Convention.
- Secure all vendors for the event, including venue, audio/visual & election support.
- Communicate and performs such actions as determined through resolutions and the will of Convention.
- Record Minutes of proceedings and publish the Diocesan Journal.
- Maintain diocesan archives.
Serving this diocese continues to be an honor and I feel called to this ministry. Working tirelessly with the dedicated members of the various committees and boards is such a rewarding experience. I appreciate the opportunity you have given me.