Blog: Out of the Ordinary
About Canon Jacobs
Greg has been with the diocese since September 2008, initially as Canon for Ministry Development, and as Canon to the Ordinary and Chief of Staff since 2009. His job is to assist and advise the Bishop in matters concerning congregations, clergy and staff.
For congregations, Greg engages in the areas of congregational growth, development and revitalization, strategic planning, overseeing congregational consultants, and transition ministry.
For clergy, he manages transitions into congregations, recruits and deploys clergy, works with interim clergy, and provides guidance in their ministry development.
Staff responsibility includes overseeing the work of property management, missional church, youth/young adult ministry, communications and technology, and training and resources staff, as well as all staff personnel issues.
Greg has two adult daughters and married Sheila Abdus-Salaam in June 2016. Outside of work he is the consummate sports fan, loves Star Trek in all its versions and still carries on his teenage love affair with Marvel comics and movies.
- Congregational growth, development and revitalization.
- Congregation mission and ministry planning.
- Congregation transitions.
- Clergy transitions.
- Clergy Day, Clergy Conversations, Clergy Conference planning.
- Clergy misconduct intake offer and investigator.
- Congregational and transition ministry consultants.
- Transition ministry clergy (interims, priests-in-charge).
- Supply clergy.
- Lay and clergy licensing and background checks.
- Clergy compensation and benefits review and compliance.
- Vestry consultations.
- Clergy vocational discernment.
- Liaison to Trustees, Diocesan Council, Commission on Hispanic/Latino Ministry, NAMASTE (anti-racism dialogues), Anti-Bullying Task Force.
- Diocesan staff oversight (property management, youth/young adult ministry, communications and technology) and staff personnel issues.