Prayers, suggested readings and other ideas for churches to use leading up to, and after, Election Day.
Prayers for the Election
Pray for direction from God Direct us, O Lord, in all our doings with thy most gracious favor, and further us with thy continual help; that in all our works begun, continued, and ended in thee, we may glorify thy holy Name, and finally, by thy mercy, obtain everlasting life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Pray for joy in God’s creation O heavenly Father, who hast filled the world with beauty: Open our eyes to behold thy gracious hand in all thy works; that, rejoicing in thy whole creation, we may learn to serve thee with gladness; for the sake of him through whom all things were made, thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Pray for our own work for the common good Almighty God our heavenly Father, you declare your glory and show forth your handiwork in the heavens and in the earth: Deliver us in our various occupations from the service of self alone, that we may do the work you give us to do in truth and beauty and for the common good; for the sake of him who came among us as one who serves, your Son Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Pray for discernment O Lord, mercifully receive the prayers of your people who call upon you, and grant that they may know and understand what things they ought to do, and also may have grace and power faithfully to accomplish them; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.
Pray for our hearts to be fixed on true joy Almighty God, you alone can bring into order the unruly wills and affections of sinners: Grant your people grace to love what you command and desire what you promise; that, among the swift and varied changes of the world, our hearts may surely there be fixed where true joys are to be found; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.
Pray for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit Almighty and most merciful God, grant that by the indwelling of your Holy Spirit we may be enlightened and strengthened for your service; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.
Pray for deliverance from faithless fear and wordly anxiety Most loving Father, whose will it is for us to give thanks for all things, to fear nothing but the loss of you, and to cast all our care on you who care for us: Preserve us from faithless fears and worldly anxieties, that no clouds of this mortal life may hide from us the light of that love which is immortal, and which you have manifested to us in your Son Jesus Christ our Lord; who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.
- Forward Movement: A season for Prayer: For An Election. Includes a prayer for the day after Election Day
- Prayer following the result of the EU referendum and a Litany of Reconciliation
- Prayers for an Election Season - United Church of Christ
- Opening our churches for prayers, to light a candle
- Musical offerings - Make me a Channel of Your Peace ; Lord make us servants of your peace - 593, 1982 Hymnal; Draw us in the Spirit’s Tether - Friedell; Ubi Caritas - Taize; God of Grace and God of Glory - 594, 595, 1982 Hymnal
- Lincoln's Second Inaugural address: this speech, though brief, a thoughtful manner for leadership to work with a congregation that may feel separated from the election's outcome.
- Lincoln's Address : A House Divided