The Transition Committee provides support for the current bishop and staff and for the bishop-elect (and family). The committee will facilitate the “walk about,” plan for the electing convention, consecration, and celebration of the current bishop’s retirement.
Members chosen to serve on this committee should have the following characteristics:
- Are active in the diocese and their parish, are widely respected and represent a balance of constituencies.
- The ability to maintain a positive attitude, even when the going gets tough.
- The willingness to express their opinions honestly and a similar willingness to listen with an open mind to the opinions of others.
- The commitment to do what they say they will do and to bear their share of the load without complaining.
- The desire and discernment to help the group achieve consensus.
Responsibilities of the members of the Transition Committee:
- Commit several hours a week to this for at least the next 18 months, especially after the naming of the nominees in March 2018.
- Attend a retreat with members of the Standing Committee, Search/Nominating Committee on June 9 & 10.
- Pray regularly - individually and corporately - for God's guidance in the work of this Committee and in the diocese during this time of transition.
- Team building, morale, group process and dynamics.
- Oversight & coordination of subcommittees.
- Budget and track expenses with appropriate diocesan group.
- Decision-making between meetings; calling special meetings.
- Interaction and communication with Standing Committee, Search/ Nomination Committee, Diocesan/ Executive Committee, and others, as appropriate.