The main role of the Search/Nominating Committee is to prayerfully develop a profile of the diocese, to search for and nominate the persons best suited to serve as bishop in our diocese as we move forward in our spiritual journey.
Members chosen to serve on this committee should have the following characteristics:
- Are active in the diocese and their parish, are widely respected and represent a balance of constituencies.
- The ability to maintain a positive attitude, even when the going gets tough.
- The willingness to express their opinions honestly and a similar willingness to listen with an open mind to the opinions of others.
- The commitment to do what they say they will do and to bear their share of the load without complaining.
- The desire to discern, and help the group achieve consensus.
Responsibilities of the members of the Search/Nominating Committee:
- Commit several hours a week to this for at least the next twelve months.
- Attend a retreat with members of the Standing Committee and Transition Committee on June 9 & 10.
- Pray regularly - individually and corporately - for God's guidance in the work of this Committee and in the diocese during this time of transition.
- Maintain strict confidentiality with regard to those who are or have been under consideration.
- Be as open-minded as possible, setting aside personal agendas and preferences to listen for the voice of the Spirit in the process.
- Share your opinions and feelings openly and honestly with others on the Committee and, in turn, listen closely to their opinions and feelings.
- Exercise conscientious personal decision-making within an overall accountability, individually and collectively, to the Holy Spirit and to the people of the diocese.
- Remain absolutely neutral with regard to the outcome of the election. The slate will be the Committee's slate, and you should support it without favoritism.