The Assistant to the President & Executive Director supports the Seamen’s Church Institute’s (SCI) President & Executive Director in his leadership of North America’s most comprehensive mission to inland mariners and international seafarers as a social outreach ministry of the Episcopal Church.
The Assistant coordinates administrative functions of the Executive Director’s office while coordinating daily communication among trustees and staff situated in four locations across the United States. The full-time position reports to the President & Executive Director, working from SCI’s New York headquarters with occasional travel to its Port Newark center.
In particular, the Assistant:
- Performs daily administrative duties, including digital asset management, phone/correspondence, organizational statistics, detailed fact checking, schedule coordination, and backup for donor acknowledgement letters;
- Administers Board of Trustees business, including meeting schedules and logistics, and dissemination and storage of official documents;
- Interacts with Development team to support fundraising and donor relations efforts by Chairman and Executive Director, including major solicitations and donor-relations database documentation;
- Coordinates senior staff travel and supports Executive Director during frequent travel absences;
- Supports SCI’s Human Resources Department by digitizing records and serving as coach to senior staff on digital asset management;
- Harnesses new information technologies to promote efficiency for a mobile work force;
- Manages ad hoc projects assigned by Executive Director.
The ideal candidate brings outstanding oral, written, organizational and interpersonal skills to the position. He or she embodies advanced skill in use of Microsoft Office products, donor databases, graphics, social media, and digital photo curation. He or she must thrive in a high-energy, mobile, nonprofit environment, manage multiple projects (some on a confidential basis) and deliver high-quality work within tight deadlines. He or she should respect the values and realities that drive maritime ministry while exhibiting the agility and emotional intelligence that contributes to a healthy work culture.
The candidate must possess a B.A. or equivalent degree with demonstrated administrative and project experience.
Knowledge of church or maritime culture provides a definite credential.
Please send resume, cover letter, salary requirements and a recent writing sample via email to:
email@example.com or call +1 973-204-2774.
SCI offers a competitive salary along with along with a comprehensive benefits package, including health, dental, life, disability and a 403(b) retirement plan.